Friday, January 4, 2013

Unusual for me ...

Something occurred yesterday at the office which resulted  in my learning the age of my co-worker, Barry. Barry and I are relative buds; he was the guy I interviewed with, went to St. Joe with last August for my first week on the job, and he and I arrive at 6:00 each morning, and can cover a lot of ground without a lot of vagrant ears around. Barry is a very fit fellow, strong and slim, but is quite bald, wears reading glasses low on his nose, and has a very glass-half-empty kind of outlook to go along with his ever-present frown.




Maybe it was because I was the new guy, maybe it was because the second guy I interviewed with is definitely six or seven years older than I am, but I always imagined Barry and I to be pretty close to the same age, without really focusing on it too much. Well, I found out Barry's six years younger than I am, and while that puts him firmly in his mid-50s, the realization arrested me a little bit. I don't usually think about my age, except to consider it "just a number," but for a while yesterday I had the strange, not-very-pleasant novelty of feeling like the old guy.


You hear a lot about older guys - the physical infirmities, the limits on stamina, etc., but I can definitely say that there are new compensations with each passing year. There are things that I understand that wouldn't have been so obvious even ten years ago - just different aspects of life and fortune and philosophy and perception. And on this job, I feel like "the monarch of the sea," to quote Sallah from Raiders of the Lost Ark - the boss, the guy with the answers. So ... it was a strange moment of vulnerability, a bit of a kryptonite sensation. It passed quickly enough.

4 comments:

  1. Dad - Allow me to say this now, and make it as clear as I can -

    I don't care what year it is... you are NOT in your 60's... you are still the guy willing to play catch... in fact, we did last time I was in Denver. Not the act of your age. You are fine.

    I will respect that... forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, you need to see the Dark Knight Rises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you set aside 160 minutes. But at least Batman is done cock-blocking himself, and scores with Marion Cotilliard and (mostly) Anne Hathaway. Joseph Gordon-Leavitt is great. Really though, the existential crisis the existence "a Batman" would create is topic here...

      After watching all three just recently (thanks Dan), and comparing it to my thoughts and feelings about The Wire, I must say that Gotham just sucks.

      The movie is well executed if predictable, and more dour than fun, but it is pretty good.

      Overall: Yes.

      Delete
  3. Still playing catch, sweet. Do you still like your yolks runny? Is that just me of the three of us? Do you still like Curly the best? How drastic are these changes?

    Go Yankees; go Homer; go Flanagan and Murakami and Mitchell, right?

    A number's just a number, right?

    (Runny yolks, Cholula hot sauce, hash browns and sausage is an American breakfast masterpiece.)

    ReplyDelete