Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Another Year of Trying All Doors

Hey guys, Happy New Year!

I wrote a few weeks back about two book projects I was working on, and Robot Crickets is ready to rock. On to other things...

I am toasting this year as a get-back-in-the-saddle type of year, but I'm sure you fellas figured as much. So, I'm rebranding that notion into "trying all doors."

While visiting a San Diego brewery I found that I had to use their restroom. It was a single toilet in a room large enough for a wheelchair. Good enough. Later on I found I needed to use the restroom again. Only in between these two trips a party bus arrived full of the worst kind of assholery: "bros" and their penis-less counterparts. The tiny place was overrun.

So you wait in line. And listen to drunken boys who all really want to be hipsters. How sad is that: wanting to be hipsters...wanting to be self-conscious and phony...

In any case, getting ready to leave found our group needing to use the toilet one last time. And the bathroom line was too long for the impatience we were feeling. In the past I've found that when you get to a certain level of "supreme confidence", sometimes you try all doors.

During this trip, as we were leaving, knowing our destination was close but still rather wanting to be comfortable, we found ourselves trying some of the doors down the way in the complex.

One wasn't locked.

It was dark and full of barrels, and it had a bathroom right inside the door. Here are the barrels:


I wouldn't usually recommend people to try all doors, but sometimes it works out fine, and sometimes great. If the chance for it to work out horribly is there, I'd hope anyone with the courage to try opening random doors would have the sense to let it be.

3 comments:

  1. I tried a door that I wasn't sure about when I was in Newark for work. Turns out, even though the sign said 'Fire Department Only' there was nothing as cool as barrels behind it... just a stair well.

    They went up... and there was extra office space up at the end of the stairs.

    What was actually in the barrels? Being a brewery, was it just beer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is just beer, but you never know. Beer seems the most likely answer, and there were SO many. My camera just couldn't get them all...

      Delete