Thursday, January 3, 2013

Super Hero

I was recently (in the past year) at a training seminar and was asked at the start who my favorite Super Hero was.  In a room of my peers answers started flying.  As the leader of the seminar asked each of us the answers were varied:  Wolverine - He can take a beating... like most of us here.  Superman - He has super strength and can fly.  Green Lantern - He can conjure up anything he wants as a weapon.

When they got to a peer, a few seats ahead of me, the woman stated her hero was her mother.  Seeing where this was going, I sorta tuned out.  Nothing against mothers, but I thought the question was 'Who is your favorite SUPER HERO?'  I have no doubt that mothers do a whole bunch for their offspring, but that was not the prompt we were given.

When he came to me (finally, I might add) I responded with Batman.  Now, there are some people who can state he is NOT a super hero.  Some of my other peers state he is more of a rich man with issues.  True.  I will not argue that.  But, seeing as how he is an actual fictitious character I figured it would work.  I stated that he was my favorite because he is just a man.  A man, who like it or not, can be killed with a bullet and with that in mind, he still finds a way to beat the stuffing out of the enemy.

Fast forward to today... I am taking some time off after our peak season to rest and relax... too many trips and packages.  As I sit at home (too cold outside to do much while not safely tucked in the warmth of the fire place here at Basswood) I found some movies on the instant streaming database of Netflix.  Of course, as the title of this post, they are Super Hero based.

Justice League: Doom

The first offering was, as I thought, supposed to be a Batman movie.  That, my friends, is what I get for not reading the actual title.


I do, however, believe that my original thought stands.  It does seem like a Batman film.

For those who are not familiar with the story line this film is about the JLA (Justice League of America) vs. the Legion of Doom.  Fan favorites abound... Batman, Superman, the Flash, Wonder Woman, the Martian Man-hunter  the Green Lantern, and contrary to the comic story line this is based on, Cyborg.  Missing, however, was Aquaman and Plastic Man. 

Among the Legion... there was Bane, Metallo, Cheetah, Mirror Man, Star Sapphire and Vandal Savage (the 50,000 year old Man).  It is his plan to wipe out over 50% of the planet to take the rest over as his personal Kingdom.  Hilarity, as they say, ensues.

The JLA are quickly shut down due to a computer breach in the Bat Cave as Batman has been collecting ways to take the JLA out.  He, as I stated before, is just a man.  He wants to protect the planet, so when all the super heroes joined forces, he came up with ways to take them out.  

Oops. Nice job.

Next up, on my lazy day was:

Superman vs. The Elite

What can be said about this film?  Not much, I'm afraid... other than Superman has robots?



So... in the reality (if you can call it that) of this film, Supes is a widely known cultural Icon... in fact, there is an animated show inside the movie that shows Superman vs. Evil.  This, even though we have had many Superman shows, seems slightly stupid... and is mocked by Lois Lane... who knows full well that her boyfriend is Superman.  Yes, yes... this movie just cuts through the shit and lets everyone know that Lois and Clark/Superman are a couple and she fights with Clark for stories.

This is where the movie takes off, actually.  Lois and Clark... they fly (I mean fly... he carries her...) to a story in some eastern European place to get a story.  This is where Superman meets up with the Elite... folks.   They are Brits who, according to more lore than this movie hits, do not have Superman's 'Do Not Kill' mentality .  Because of this, we are treated with...



Then...


Was pretty sweet... watching Superman losing his shit.  And, to show ya'll this...  It was part of the animated show...



The quote was something like... 'Crime Doesn't pay.'  Pretty cheesy.

So... I know that already seems like a lot of stuff, but there was one more I watched.  It was the best out of the three, and as high school essays have always proved, you save the best for last.

Batman: Year One

Holy hell... what can be said about this movie.  Other than... if you are a Batman fan you should really watch it.  

Do not fuck with Jim Gordon.

Just kidding.  But that is a sweet image... 

The movie follows not only a brooding Bruce Wayne who is trying to figure out, in his first year back in Gotham, what to do with his life.  How will he help the people of Gotham?  How will he not get his ass kicked by a woman?  It turns out later the woman is Selena Kyle...



She has no hair in this... or at least, a Sinead o'Conner thing going on...

Also, as a major portion of the film, we are treated by a Jim Gordon origin story.  He transfers to Gotham, meets trouble head on (in typical Jim Gordon fashion) and... well... you'll have to see it.


We'll see what comes up tomorrow when I am just as lazy.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Funky Sunshine.

      Ehhhh. My first fan!

      Delete
  2. disregard the Mother as a hero.... posh... boo......

    Batman is a good choice not really super but smart and talented... he is able to do good for the betterment of mankind by just being wealthy and applying himself to the cause.... Superman just landed in the country and noticed he could fly, repel bullets, see through walls, crush cans,cars....

    I understand your choice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I mean about moms. They ARE super heroes, but in the sense of the question...

      Delete
  3. The first graphic in your post looks completely like Michael Keaton as the Caped Crusader. ... a thought just occurred: most DC super heroes don't have the angst that Stan Lee seemed to build into the Marvel crowd: Thor has his Loki, Dr. Bruce Banner has his, ah, volatile alter ego, and Spider-Man has, well, piles of neuroses. So, I was wondering, is Batman DC's attempt at the "geez, what an uncomfortable existence this is!" segment? Just a thought.

    Well, bust my buttons! Dan has a fan ... although his mom and I always qualified as unqualified fans of Dan the Man, didn't we? (Cin, too, by the way, thinks you're cooler than cool.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of things... call me when you read this. I can explain more in/on person phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put me down as another official Fan of Dan the Man. And dad, yeah buddy how Marvel has characters with angst (Spiderman trying to make the bills?) while DC had a more of the one-dimensional paradigm for which Marvel was the antithesis.

      Delete
    2. Isn't that more of a point the Marvel was whiny and DC was more like a non-whiny version of comics? I mean, wasn't Batman's parent's murder and first appearance like twenty years before Spiderman? Putting... the kids who read Batman in charge of Spiderman? I mean.. fuck Stan Lee...

      He's just a whiny bastard... at least, off of this post he seems as such.

      Delete