Friday, August 24, 2012

Sidewalk Grilling

I have a few movie posts brewing, and yesterday I put together a bleeding-heart rant over on another blog I keep (yay jump links!) about the best movie characters, but first I wanted to say something about grilling.

Back in 2009 I wrote a piece on my old blog about Gonzo Grilling, or, grilling on our stoop in Brooklyn. And the this past Sunday, Dan and I talked about having just gotten new grills and about how both of us wee going to be testing them out. I don't have the backyard that you've got, Dan. All I've got is the sidewalk.

And we used it:


We set up our outdoor chairs on a spit of grass and set up our brand new little Weber on the concrete, making sure we were out of the pedestrian walkway. Instead of lighter fluid, I made a nice pile of newspaper balls and tightly wound "logs" to set beneath the coals, fired it up, and waited.

It was a pretty good wait, maybe forty minutes, but it finally took.

Here's a shot of what we had working: sausages, eggplant slices, and potatoes in foil.


The eggplant was in our farm-delivery box despite the fact that neither Corrie nor I particularly like it. We've since had it removed from future boxes. It didn't turn out super great.

I had corn on the cob working in this picture with the remaining potatoes.


In that first shot you cans see the long shadows of late afternoon, and in this last one, dusk is in an advanced state. Also visible: crutches, a big Murakami book, and cups for beer.

Sunday Sidewalk Grilling. Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment