Friday, August 31, 2012

Separate from the Mighty Mizzou

Gentlemen,

I have the great good fortune to announce that I have left St. Joseph, Missouri. While my visit only sucked somewhat (they were really long days away from Cin, but I did meet some very cool people), it was with a bit of trepidation that I learned only this evening of a new virus discovered by a doctor in St. Joseph, called the Heartland Virus, and it's delivered to you courtesy of ticks.

Okay, enough of that.

St. Joseph is famous as a jumping-off point, first for Lewis and Clark, circa, like, 1801, and then, just as famously, as the starting point of the westward run of the Pony Express. The Pony Express, of course, ran to Sacramento at its western terminus, but for all its cherished imagery and lore, only functioned as part of the U.S. Post Office for 19 months, from April, 1860, to November, 1861.

(The image at the right is the Buchanan County courthouse.)

I was told by my guide and boss that the Holiday Inn where we were staying at was directly on the Missouri River. Well, the river was visible from my fifth-floor room, but between me and the big, important river sat a naturally very ugly and complicated-looking power transfer station, and that other big conduit for freight and commerce, the four sets of Union Pacific tracks. So, yeah, I was at a considerable remove from the river. The map geek in me (never far from the surface) thrilled with the knowledge that as I looked across the river, I gazed on Kansas. It wasn't that great in person.

I worked all week for a refiner of biodiesel, and it's one of the more progressive, trend-setting companies involved nowadays. It will be a struggle to make it pay, because petrochemical products are still quite a bit cheaper to produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment