Sunday, August 18, 2013

Don't Click Start... Type 'Load "*" , 8, 1

I am a fan of Star Wars.  I have been for a long time.  Well, I saw something today that cracked me up... and thought there was no better time to talk about it and get it all out.

As a fan of Star Wars I have to be mindful of some things... not everyone sees things the way I do.  And that goes for fellow fans of the movies I might add... for there are things that happen in the movies which is considered 'canon' and things that are assumed to have happened that are also 'canon.'  This canon we speak of is what George Lucas, the Universe Creator, says is true and an actual part of the story line as described in the feature films and officially licensed spin offs.

This is a GD double edged sword.  Why?  Well, for a few reasons... here is one:


Barring that one... we will continue.

While in New York about three weeks ago (maybe two) my esteemed brother and I had a conversation about the Star Wars movies and how we, as fans, would show them to someone who had not viewed them.  We came to the conclusion that some of the movies are not good enough to be watched even once... that some of the 'canon' created by Lucas is crap.

To bring this full circle (I mean, to bring in the title of this post...) I recently saw something.  It is 0230 on Saturday night, Sunday morning and I can't sleep.  I am up surfing the web when I come across a page on the very 'tongue in cheek titled' Wookiepedia.  Let me set this up... I was checking out a page that stated Billy Dee Williams' son was an actor who was in Return of the Jedi with his father, and who also stood in for his dad in a stunt scene...  Clicking the link for Williams Jr. takes me to the character site... which in turn made me look into another side character... who I have always thought was a pile of shit.  Again, the title of this post.  And, in the picture I am posting, please take care to notice the [SRC] for the Darth Vader quote for Boba Fett.



I took the screen capture while hovering over the source... I was a little interested to know when, and in what context, that line was ever uttered.  But not anymore.  To use that as the Source for any quote is awful, but it seems fitting for Boba Fett.

He is the absolute worst.  He dies in Return of the Jedi.  Arnold Schwarzenegger has more lines in Terminator than this character does in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.  I am not sure who thinks he was cool enough to expand on... oh, wait.  Yeah I do.  The gentleman who was responsible for this:



Who would have ever expected C-3P0 to shoot,

So, after all is said and done, the 'canon' is not to be trusted.  Han shot first, Boba Fett should be dead, and why would the programming in a droid that was created by Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker compatible with droid programming that was from across the galaxy and mass produced?  That would be like saying a Commodore 64 would run on the touch screen enabled Windows 8.  Don't Click Start... Type 'Load "*" , 8, 1.

A few links for your approval.

Boba Fett Wookieepedia

More People Who Believe


Basically this is a post to ensure that people watch the video (second link) and laugh at the first one.


Wood Out

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow, brother, I've spent the last few hours typing up a post and finally publish it at 3:27 and see you beat me to the awesome late night post. I haven't even read yours yet, but I will.

    I'm sorry, dude...how weird is that...

    The two of us posting at basically the same time after two months...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I agree about Boba Fett being fully overrated and kind of a lamewad. How did this guy get so popular? Is it the cool mask and helmet (because they are pretty cool looking)? And how come some of the stormtroopers in Star Wars are different sizes, since they're all supposed to be close?

    And why would the damn circuitry be compatible? I just saw that scene and C-3PO's head is horrified by what his mass produced body is up to...so the droid's head is not what controls the arms and legs...

    I'm interested in reading your newsletter, sir. What other ideas have you got?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat apparently has a set of itchy typing fingers.

    Lacking an encyclopedic knowledge of the Lucasville Universe, I will opt for a generic comment about web surfing.

    I have read that large information systems must collapse. They get too unwieldy and become crushed under their own weight. This has been proven again and again, but I'm afraid I can't provide specific examples.

    So, obviously, the Interweb is a very large information system, particularly if you include the subset called "social media." I was talking about this concept - the inevitable collapse - with someone I know, and he surprisingly, and very readily, agreed. He thought it was going to come from some of the nefarious activities that have the Web has fostered, like rape of underage girls (and boys), blackmail, malicious rumors spread against unpopular schoolkids, and the harm and hassle of purloined information from banking and investment sites, to cite only the most obvious things. It provides an unfortunate forum for spreading hatred of just about anything and anyone, too.

    My own observation encompasses all that, and also one of the main sources of the Web's durability and energy: advertising. It's fucking everywhere. I can't look at the statistics on my own blog, which is hosted by Google, without being accosted by it. They had a link to what they claimed was one of the three main sources of traffic to Basso Profundo, and it was an ad site, wanting me to do something or other: click here, click there, make somebody money for pageviews! And I know Google is one of the leading players in this space, in the forefront of ensuring security and safety for the folks they host. It looks like they are not immune to the rampant greed running this shit. Well, duh!

    So, Dan, it strikes me that the little backwater site you found on Boba Fett is a perfect example of the slop, the bilge, the utter conceptual diarrhea that we're all up to our eyeballs in, because access to the web is free and unimpeded.

    Sorry, Dan. Push me off - I should get on my soapbox on my OWN time, I know.

    Nice to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete