Monday, April 1, 2013

Dickensian Names and Athletes

Dad, you mentioned in your last post Peter Dinklage, and how cool and "Dickensian" his name was, and it reminded me about an idea I had that I posted about a while ago, likely when I was laid up on the couch with the busted leg.

There were some athletes from different sports that had what I felt were "classic" names, but Dickensian is a better term for these players. I'll list them here, again, so maybe we can add to the list as we go forward with our lives.

I was reminded that I wanted to do this just a second ago upon hearing that the 49ers just traded for Colt McCoy.

Colt McCoy was the QB of the UT Longhorns before being drafted by the Browns, not playing like a pro-bowler, then getting rocked, and now being slated to compete for a backup job behind Kaepernick. But, "Colt McCoy" is about as quintessential a Texan QB name anyone could fabricate, let alone believe was real.

Usain Bolt. If you wanted to make up a name for the fastest man on Earth, who is also Jamaican, could you come up with something better than freaking Usain Bolt?

Hope Solo. How about a foxy goalie, all alone, trying to stop the attacking enemy?

I also kinda like Mark Trumbo, as a thumping old-school baseball player. Maybe?

Outside of sports, besides Dinklage, maybe Wolf Blitzer?

1 comment:

  1. Surprised you missed Jeremy Irons... and his cool as metal... I don't know... self. I know it has nothing really to do with Charles Dickens... but neither does Colt McCoy... but maybe I should read David Copperfield again...

    ReplyDelete